Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Falling Off the Earth


"Falling Off The Earth"

It's funny how adamant I was about the BT not publishing my sister's essay because I felt that, once it was out, the entire High School (not just the ones who have already known me and my tragic background) would know that I was the younger sister of an insanely good writer soon to be graduating Yale in the spring of next year. I still feel the same way, and I know that once the name gets out, everything I do will be in the shadow of her undeniable reputation. Just like applying to the damned school... I get in, it's goes unnoticed, like something long predicted. I get rejected, and it's almost atrocious (on my part). Either way, comparisons are going to be made...

This piece had to coincide with my sister's application essay, "WHY I WRITE: A fear of falling off the Earth", which talks about how she writes to preserve things past and try, feebly, to hold her footing in an Earth that spins uncontrollably fast.

I wish I could write like that. We're all very much lost in space and trying to bring ourselves back to reality holding on is ultimately life's greatest challenge... All the escapists of the world should be given a little bubble to access and live in for a given amount of time. Of course, this is now called video gaming and virtual reality. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment